Star must restore Echo Creek High's spirit after destroying the Possum statue.
The episode begins with Janna cleaning up garbage in front of Echo Creek Academy as part of her detention sentence. Star Butterfly helps out with the cleaning effort as well, but her service is voluntary because she's trying not to mess up again after losing Glossaryck and the book of spells. However, while in a state of distraction, Star accidentally throws Otis, the school's possum statue and mascot, into the dumpster and destroys it. Her act of carelessness is witnessed by dozens of students.
Star is called into Principal Skeeves' office, and Skeeves is particularly broken up about the statue's destruction, having once used it as a safe haven from school bullies. In addition, many of the school's students have fallen into depression and seek grief counseling from Mr. Candle, but even Mr. Candle himself is in grief over the loss of Otis. In an effort to fix this, Star tries to replace the statue with a brand new one, but the students and school faculty refuse it, citing its overly pristine condition and lack of scratches that made the original statue distinct.
As the students descend into further depression-induced madness, Star seeks out Marco for an explanation and finds him hiding in a locker, intent on avoiding his fellow students' madness. Through flashback, Marco explains to Star that, in 1846, a group of danger-prone settlers called the Bonner party settled in Echo Creek and found it overrun with possums. In order to claim the land for their own, the Bonners went to war with the possums, killing them or driving them out. Otis, the last possum remaining, was driven into the forest, and the Bonners built a statue of Otis as a reminder of Echo Creek's first true victory. Since then, Otis served as a source of inspiration, good luck, and even ritualistic worship for the school.
Without the statue, the school's students and teachers feel lost and hopeless, and Star sympathizes with them after losing the book of spells. But she comes up with a new plan.
Using the P.A. system in Principal Skeeves' office, Star makes an announcement to everyone in the school saying a possum statue doesn't define who they are. With her words of inspiration, Star convinces the school that they don't need a statue to feel Echo Creek pride, and she rallies them together to destroy the possum statue like their ancestors did in 1846. Similar to how the episode began, the episode ends with Star helping Janna clean up the mess outside the school.
- Star Butterfly
- Otis (statue)
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- As of at least May 13, 2017, this episode and "Just Friends" have been removed from Disney XD's television schedule and website.
- As of May 23, however, it has returned to television reruns.
Revelations and continuity
- The story of the Bonner party is a parallel to/parody of the real-life Donner Party, a group of pioneers whose migration to California in 1846 was fraught with misfortune and tragedy.
- Star changes outfits between when she destroys Otis's statue and when she is called into Principal Skeeves' office.
- StarFan13 appears to have two short pigtails in this episode instead of the usual one.
- ↑ Bryan (2017-01-09). “Star vs. The Forces of Evil” Gets Weekday Premieres in February. Nick and More. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil : Collateral Damage; Just Friends. Screener. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Collateral Damage. Disney XD Press. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.