The episode opens with Marco in his bedroom frantically using his laptop. When Star enters needing help getting untangled from some Christmas lights, Marco says he's busy trying to get tickets to a movie marathon dedicated to Mackie Hand, a deceased martial arts film star. Unfortunately for Marco, the movie marathon is sold out.
All of a sudden, Tom appears in a flash of fire and asks to hang out. Star refuses, but Tom says he wants to hang out with Marco, not her. Marco refuses as well until Tom reveals that he has two tickets to the Mackie Hand movie marathon. When asked why he suddenly wants to hang out with Marco, Tom says he thought they made a connection during the events of "Mr. Candle Cares" and that he promises not to lose his temper. Marco pulls Star aside, thinking Tom is up to something, but Star encourages him to go with Tom. Hesitantly, Marco accepts – if only to be able to see the movie marathon.
Inside Tom's skeleton horse-drawn carriage, Tom gives Marco a tour of the interior, which includes several flat-screen TVs, a photo booth, a karaoke machine, and a white tiger. When Tom offers Marco a snack, Marco is suspicious that Tom is being so nice to him. Tom claims to be a fellow fan of Mackie Hand, but he raises Marco's suspicions when he hesitates to name his favorite Mackie Hand movie. However, Tom claims to have two favorites: Hand to Hand to Hand and Hand to Hand to Hand 2, preferring the original over the sequel. This answer satisfies Marco, and he apologizes for being so distrustful. After getting a pair of overconfident hot rod drivers in trouble with the police and realizing they share a passion for the band Love Sentence, Marco and Tom become more comfortable around each other and have an afternoon of fun together.
Ten minutes before the movie marathon starts, Marco wants to head to the theater to catch it on time, but Tom suddenly locks the carriage door, wanting Marco to stay for a few more minutes. This leads into a short back-and-forth in which Marco demands to leave and Tom refuses to let him, and Tom eventually loses his temper. In response to this, Tom's white tiger blows a whistle. As it turns out, the white tiger is actually Tom's life coach Brian in disguise, and the entire afternoon was a test for Tom to earn his anger management graduation badge. The test involved Tom spending three hours alone with the person he hated the most without getting mad, but he failed automatically by losing his temper.
Upset over failing his test, Tom burns the movie marathon tickets to ashes. However, Marco is even more upset that Tom lied to him about being a fan of Mackie Hand and for him pretending to be his friend. He kicks the locked carriage door open and storms off. Tom calls out to Marco, saying that he really does like Love Sentence, and he tries to apologize through the lyrics of a Love Sentence song. Unfortunately, Marco joins in the song, expresses that it's "too little too late", and walks away. In a last-ditch attempt to make it up to Marco, Tom uses his demonic powers to resurrect Mackie Hand from the dead, and Marco is touched by the gesture.
Together with Mackie Hand, Marco and Tom go to see the movie marathon, but the ticket guy refuses them entry into the theater, believing the Mackie Hand with them is just a cosplayer. The ticket guy tries to push Mackie off the theater premises, but Mackie fends him off with a display of kung fu. As Mackie gets into a brawl with theater security, Tom and Marco watch while eating cereal. Though they admit they still don't like each other, they conclude the evening on friendlier terms than before.
Title in other languages
|French||Ennemitié inattendue||Unexpected Enmity|
|German||Freund oder Feind?||Friend or Foe?|
|Hebrew||אויבים קרובים||Close Enemies|
|Italian||Amici Nemici||Enemy Friends|
|Japanese||敵か味方か||Enemy or Friend|
|Russian||Друзья или враги||Friends or Enemies|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Amigos-enemigos||Friends-Enemies|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Nick Lachey, lead singer of the band 98 Degrees, guest-stars as Justin Towers singing Awesome Feeling.
- The original animatic was 19 minutes long.
- As of this episode, Tom's tongue is red instead of purple as it was in season 1.
- Tom's carriage is a lot bigger on the inside than it was in "Blood Moon Ball".
- Tom's resurrection spell doesn't have any translation in the English version of the episode, but in other dubs of the series, his words are translated to: "I here now muster the dark forces of the flames that burn like the heat (or passion) of my heart."
Revelations and continuity
- Tom is shown to be able to travel through dimensions without the use of dimensional scissors.
- Tom mentions the events of the episode "Mr. Candle Cares".
- Marco and Tom are both fans of the band Love Sentence. In "Red Belt", Star was also shown to be a fan of them.
- Brian returns, showing that Tom is still undergoing the anger management he was taking in "Blood Moon Ball".
- Tom's earring is miscolored in his picture taken with Justin Towers.
- Tom's armband vanishes in the scene of him dancing with Marco during their montage.
- Tom's eye marks disappear for a frame when Tom leaps off Marco's desk.
- Tom's eye marks around his third eye vanish in one of the photos taken with Marco.
- ↑ 非公式 悪魔バスター★スターバタフライ (2017-01-24). 回毎にメンションをしますが、一先ず確定済み2月新エピ放送スケジュールをご紹介。 (Japanese). Twitter. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil : Friendenemies; Is Mystery. Screener. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Friendenemies / Is Mystery. Disney XD Press. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.