Glossaryck, or Sir Glossaryck of Terms, is the living embodiment of the Magic Instruction Book for Star Butterfly's magic wand, and Star's guide in magical matters. His first official appearance is in "Mewberty", but he makes some cameo appearances beforehand in "Star Comes to Earth" and "Monster Arm".
Glossaryck is a small, dark blue humanoid with pink eyes (with diamond-shaped irises and pupils) and lips, twelve fingers (six on each hand), a white beard that parts in the middle, a long nose, and a magenta gem embedded in his forehead. He wears a yellow tunic with a belt and a pendant with a blue gem. He has visibly hairy legs at all times, and has four nipples as well as an additional gem mounted over his navel. He usually floats in a meditation stance.
Glossaryck's eyes, tongue, and forehead gem glow purple when he is angered/frustrated.
Glossaryck is shown to be very wise, but he can be very silly and playful at times. He is known to be overly cryptic in his advice, and quite sarcastic. He also has a recurring fondness for pudding.
Despite this, Glossaryck takes his job seriously and understands the importance of preparing Star for queenhood. However, he views friendship as a "simple concept", and his loyalties appear to shift depending on who is in possession of the book of spells. According to Glossaryck himself in "The Hard Way", he does not "have a side", indicating he takes a largely neutral stance during conflicts. The other members of Magic High Commission agree that Glossaryck is very unpredictable and prone to doing his own thing.
Glossaryck is Star's magic guide, there to help her improve her magic or assist her when she has problems. Star considers him a friend, and he takes his role of guiding her seriously in "Page Turner", but his frequent crypticness wears on her patience at times. In addition, Glossaryck appears to view Star only as a student rather than as a friend in "Raid the Cave".
When Marco first meets Glossaryck in "Mewberty", Glossaryck mistakes him for a girl and refuses to help him. Marco dislikes Glossaryck's intentionally roundabout helping methods and overall mischief, demonstrated further in "Freeze Day", "My New Wand!", and "Star on Wheels", but Glossaryck does tolerate Marco and enjoys messing with him.
When Glossaryck meets Oskar in "Star on Wheels", they bond immediately over a love of meatball subs and music, even considering forming a band together.
King and Queen Butterfly
Glossaryck has close ties with the royal family of Mewni, watching over Star at the request of the king and queen. He also previously served as the magic guide for Queen Butterfly and her predecessors. Despite his loyalty, however, Glossaryck is not afraid to defy the queen's wishes if his ability to teach is called into question, as demonstrated in "Page Turner".
The nature of Glossaryck's relationship with Ludo is largely unknown. However, after Ludo steals Star's spell book in "Bon Bon the Birthday Clown", Glossaryck begrudgingly accepts Ludo as his new master. In "The Hard Way", he teaches Ludo by simply having him read the Magic Instruction Book, even admitting Ludo does a better job at learning from it than Star. He lightly applauds Ludo's progress, but is unnerved by Ludo's desire for fatherly affection, and shows little reaction when Ludo is possessed by Toffee.
Glossaryck appears to have a tenuous relationship with the Magic High Commission, especially the short-tempered Rhombulus. In "Page Turner", he refers to them as children and accuses them of wasting his time. It is revealed in "Crystal Clear" that Rhombulus gave Glossaryck his forehead gem but Glossaryck never thanked him.
Powers and abilities
- Levitation: Glossaryck can hover in place at a fixed height and aerodynamically maneuver along the air.
- Telekinesis: Glossaryck can move objects telekinetically; his ability to levitate may be a manifestation/extension of this. His telekinesis is powerful enough to move an entire portion of a building, as demonstrated in "Page Turner".
- Teleportation/astral projection: Glossaryck can teleport himself and others to other locations, or project the consciousnesses of himself and others to other locations, as demonstrated in "My New Wand!" and "Page Turner".
- Shapeshifting: Glossaryck can morph his body to suit his needs. In "My New Wand!", he enlarges his hands, and in "Page Turner", he enlarges his legs in order to quickly climb a flight of stairs.
- Photokinesis: Glossaryck can project light from his forehead gem to light up dark areas, as demonstrated in "My New Wand!" and "Bon Bon the Birthday Clown". In the latter episode, he tells Janna that it is "not natural", suggesting that he had the gem implanted in him (later confirmed in "Crystal Clear"). He also uses this offensively against Rhombulus in "Page Turner".
- Clairvoyance/omniscience: Glossaryck seems to possess some form of clairvoyance. In "My New Wand!", he is apparently aware that Marco reading Star's journal would cause her to "dip down", and in "By the Book", he seems to predict the episode's course of events. In "Crystal Clear", Glossaryck is the most powerful, all-knowing being in the universe according to Rhombulus.
- Construct creation: Glossaryck can form objects or magical constructs from his forehead gem, such as meatball subs in "Star on Wheels", methods of defense in "Page Turner", and apples in "The Hard Way".
- Immortality: "Into the Wand" reveals that Glossaryck is virtually immortal, having served and guided many past queens of Mewni.
- Life creation: According to Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension, Glossaryck created Omnitraxus Prime, Lekmet, Rhombulus, and Hekapoo.
- Theme Song (season 2)
- My New Wand!
- Star on Wheels
- Wand to Wand
- By the Book
- Into the Wand
- Page Turner
- Bon Bon the Birthday Clown
- Raid the Cave
- Baby (mentioned)
- Crystal Clear (mentioned)
- The Hard Way
- Collateral Damage (mentioned)
- Face the Music (mentioned/pictured)
- Starcrushed (mentioned)
Click here to view the gallery.
- His name is a play on the word "glossary", used to describe a list of terms featured in a particular book.
- As shown in "Mewberty", he will only serve princesses, unless a person provides him with pudding. Once the pudding runs out however, he will refuse to divulge any further information.
- He also refuses to handle any problem that isn't magic-based.
- Similar to Stanford Pines from fellow Disney Channel/Disney XD animated series Gravity Falls, Glossaryck has six fingers on each hand.
- In "Raid the Cave", Glossaryck reveals that he is "bound" to the Magic Instruction Book, so he cannot stray too far from it.
- In "The Hard Way", Glossaryck claims that he has "no side" in terms of good and evil.
- According to Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension, Glossaryck was created by the universe as a means of understanding all of the magic that flows within it.