The class goes on a field trip, and Star is the only one excited since she has never been on one before. Marco tries to explain this to her while trying to get closer to Jackie, opting to send her funny pictures of cats on his mobile phone instead of talking to her in case he says something stupid. The field trip destination is revealed to be the Echo Creek Museum of Paper Clips, and the class quickly begins complaining about the boring experience. Sympathizing with her classmates, Star points out to Miss Skullnick that they should be having fun; a sentiment which Skullnick dismisses, pointing out that she is already old, and the only amusement she gets is teaching the class (which she does not even like). Star declares that she can do a better job leading the field trip, which Skullnick accepts, not believing Star can do so.
Whipping out her dimensional scissors, Star takes the bus to a dimension filled with the universe's most amazing and unbelievable things. Star declares that there are no rules, and the students quickly split up to go exploring, awestruck by the dimension's wonders. Skullnick has her doubts about Star's policy of no rules. While Star gives Marco his phone back, she remarks to Skullnick that she should let her subordinates do what they want, and have fun for a change. Left on her own, Skullnick goes to visit an exhibit about trolls.
Star informs her classmates that they have free rein, much to their excitement as they interact with the various oddities. Not long after, Star realizes that they have begun to take her advice to the extreme and expose themselves to various dangers, including an enclosure housing the universe's "most dangerous creature" (apparently made out of yarn), which Alfonzo and Ferguson accidentally release. Separately, Skullnick begins to learn about the heritage of trolls, discovering to her delight that not only do trolls live longer than humans (making her a teenager by comparison), they also have impressive strength - leaving Skullnick happier about being turned into a troll.
Pressured by her classmates' incessant calling for her, Star screams for them to keep quiet for a moment, but finds that they have all disappeared - with only trails of socks left behind. Meanwhile, Marco has given up trying to message Jackie (not realizing she was too busy having fun earlier and failed to notice his further messages) and throws away his phone, only to pick it up again when it receives Jackie's reply: a call for help!
Skullnick regroups with Marco and Star, annoyed that Star managed to lose the entire class. Donning the troll battle armor from the exhibit, she leads the rescue party to a cave, where the class has been imprisoned in giant socks. Just as Star and Marco release them, the yarn monster shows up, having formed into the shape of a massive scorpion. Skullnick battles the monster, ordering Star and Marco to get the kids back on the bus, barely keeping the beast at bay. Eventually, Skullnick hooks one of the monster's loose ends onto a paper clip, latching it onto the "universe's most immovable post". The bus drives away, and the monster unravels into a single strand of yarn as it chases after everyone.
Skullnick and Star are received with massive cheers, and Marco is asked by Jackie to occupy the seat next to him. Despite his nervousness, Marco accepts after a supportive Star prompts him.
- Echo Creek Academy students
- Spider tour guide
- Yarn monster
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- This episode's original airdate is given as August 22, 2015 when listed on XFINITY.
- Promotional material for the episode gives its title as simply "Field Trip". This makes it the third episode to be known by at least two titles after "Brittney's Party" (alternatively titled "Party Bus") and "The Banagic Incident" (alternatively titled "Banagic").
Revelations and continuity
- Miss Skullnick is revealed to be fifty. (Which makes her only ⅛ her "troll" age.)
- Miss Skullnick accepts being turned into a troll, as trolls live to be four hundred years old, and can lift up to a hundred times their own weight.
- The stripe on Sabrina's uniform is over her right shoulder rather than her left for most of the episode. It changes direction briefly as she turns to run from the string monster.
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil : Interdimensional Field Trip; Marco Grows a Beard. Screener. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ TV News Desk (2015-08-25). Disney XD Announces September 2015 Programming Highlights. Broadway World. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.