King River Butterfly (né Johansen) is the ruler of the Kingdom of Mewni alongside his wife, Queen Butterfly, and Star Butterfly's father. Born into the Johansen clan of barbarians, River was crowned King of Mewni through marriage to the then-Princess Moon Butterfly.
King River is a short, stout, light-skinned man with blonde hair (with a bald spot under his crown) and light blue eyes. The crown atop his head is golden with a large pink jewel on the top, and he has blonde eyebrows. He also has a thick, large blonde mustache and a beard, which splits in two ways. River sports golden shoulder pads with periwinkle tufts, periwinkle cuffs at the end of the arms of his blue coat, and a blue cape with periwinkle fur. He wears large gray pants and black boots.
In "Face the Music", River wears a white version of his usual blue coat for Star's "song day" ceremony.
PersonalityAlthough seeming just as formal and strict as his wife, it is revealed in "Diaz Family Vacation" that River enjoys going off to fight monsters like Star does when his duties as king bore him. Like his daughter, River is belligerent, headstrong, and prefers battle to diplomacy. Despite this, however, he is a skilled warrior, a dedicated king, and a loving father.
RelationshipsDiaz Family Vacation" and having fun in "Royal Pain", and River mentions in "Camping Trip" that he taught Star how to camp and used to give her piggyback rides. They have their disagreements at times, such as when River first finds out that Star uses dimensional scissors without permission, but the two love each other dearly nonetheless. In "Baby", River has reservations about bringing Star back to Mewni while she's still in school, and in "Game of Flags", it makes him proud to see her participate in the Butterfly-Johansen family tradition of Flags. Face the Music", River worries about Moon going to the Forest of Certain Death by herself, and he misses her a lot during her absence from the castle in "Marco and the King".
In "Moon the Undaunted" and Deep Trouble Issue #2, River is shown to have been very shy and awkward around Moon when they were teenagers. He tries to stick up for Moon during a war meeting and gives her an "apology meat" afterward, nervously calling her "pal", and he would often put himself in harm's way in an attempt to impress her.Marco Diaz. In "Diaz Family Vacation", Rafael and Angie invite him to join them in a hot spring, and in "Royal Pain", Rafael considers River to be a member of his "familia". In "Camping Trip", River goes through a midlife crisis and feels threatened by Marco, believing him to be Star's boyfriend, but the two have grown to be good friends by "Marco and the King"; Marco encourages River to lead the kingdom in its time of need and tries to free him from the dungeon in "King Ludo".
Powers and abilities
- Physical prowess: King Butterfly possesses above-average physical prowess. He is able to fight monsters and wield a spear in "Diaz Family Vacation", wield a club in "Royal Pain", and survive for extended periods of time in the wilderness and run ten miles in five minutes in "Camping Trip".
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Battle for Mewni
Click here to view the gallery.
- "Camping Trip" reveals that King Butterfly is very strong and athletic, able to run ten miles in five minutes while carrying Star and Marco (equivalent to 120 mph or 193 kph), and he claims he "used to be able to do it in four" (equivalent to 150 mph or 241 kph). "Game of Flags" reveals that his family, the Johansens, are just as strong and physically capable as he is.
- Like most Mewmans, he has a fondness for corn, to the extent where he goes into a crazed frenzy should he see his supply threatened.
- ↑ Amelia Lorenz (2017-07-19). Young Moon and Young River voices. Tumblr. Retrieved on 2017 July 19.
- ↑ River in "Royal Pain": "He ruins every party and is completely oblivious about it!"
- ↑ Season 1, episode 24: "Storm the Castle"
- ↑ Season 2, episode 15: "Game of Flags"