The students at Echo Creek Academy are having their future careers sorted out. Star is super excited about what her future will be. However, after meeting with the school guidance counselor Mr. Candle, she is bummed. It turns out the only thing in her future is becoming queen of Mewni. Marco's future career is no joy either, as Mr. Candle declares that his future career is being a janitor on a garbage island. While Star hates the idea of becoming queen, Marco finds the idea of having people do things for you and respect you because they have to great. All this talk about being queen makes Star feel even more depressed. When Marco spots Mr. Candle going into the men's bathroom, he decides to go and have a word with him about his chosen career, only to find out that he is secretly working for Star's ex-boyfriend Tom. Listening in, he finds out that Tom is using Mr. Candle in another one of his schemes to get back together with Star.
After meeting with Tom, Mr. Candle returns to his office and finds Marco waiting for him. With a scheme up his sleeve, Marco tells Mr. Candle that instead of becoming a janitor on Garbage Island, he may become the king of Mewni, saying that he and Star have recently become "smooch buddies". Hearing this worries Mr. Candle, and he warns him not to say things like that in his office. But Marco continues to brag on about his close "smooching" relationship with Star, and the candy bowl on Mr. Candle's desk begins to glow a fiery red. Suddenly, the bowl explodes, revealing a fiery, enraged Tom, who takes Marco back to the Underworld.
Meanwhile, Star is back home, still sulking over her future. Even talking with her mother does not help. Finally, she snaps and decides to rebel against her future. Down in the Underworld, Tom has Marco spinning on a wheel of torture, only to discover that he lied about being a couple with Star just to get him to expose himself. Although the truth is out, Tom does not intend on letting Marco go because he knows too much; he now has to destroy him. However, Marco manages to persuade Tom otherwise by challenging him to a battle to the death. If Tom wins, Marco dies, but if Marco wins, Tom has to take him home and tell Star the truth. Both down to an agreement, they challenge each other to a game of ping pong. However, it turns out to be an unfair game, as Tom keeps beating Marco with his demonic powers. Soon, the two of them begin to talk about their thoughts on Star, like how she just does whatever she wants and makes up her own rules. While it is clear that Marco is not going to win the game, he points out that Tom will never win Star back no matter what he does. He cannot make Star be his girlfriend unless she wants to. Knowing that Marco is right, Tom decides to take him home.
They arrive to find Star with half of her hair shaved off and dyed purple. She is wearing punk-like makeup, dressed in black and purple, and has replaced her cheek hearts with skulls. She is about to prevent her chance of becoming queen by slicing off a mermaid's tail, only to hear that Tom used Mr. Candle to try and get them back together again. He never stopped to consider what Star wanted and apologizes. Despite admitting the truth, Star's future as queen is still set for her. However, Marco points out that she can be her own queen and will rule Mewni how she wants to. Hearing this makes Star feel better, and the two friends hug while Tom returns to the Underworld.
In a final scene, Mr. Candle is seen giving guidance counseling to Brittney Wong when Tom appears to tell him to abort the plan. Mr. Candle complies and rides his file cabinet out the office window, leaving Brittney very confused.
- Students of Echo Creek Academy
- Queen Butterfly
Title in other languages
|Dutch||Meneer Candle Zorgt Ervoor||Mr. Candle Takes Care of It|
|French||La Journée d'Orientation||Orientation Day|
|German||In Stein gemeißelt||Set in Stone|
|Hebrew||אכפת למר קנדל||Mr. Candle Cares|
|Hungarian||Mr. Candle Odafigyel||Mr. Candle Is Paying Attention|
|Italian||Il misterioso signor Candle||The Mysterious Mr. Candle|
|Polish||Pan Pedagog||Mr. Teacher|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Cuidados de Sr. Candle||Cares of Mr. Candle|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||O Senhor Candle Orienta||Mr. Candle Guides|
|Russian||Заботы Мистера Кендэла||Mr. Candle Cares|
|Spanish||El Sr. Candle se preocupa||Mr. Candle Cares|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Dave Allen guest-stars as Mr. Candle.
- This episode marks the first time the term "Starco" (used by fans who pair Star Butterfly and Marco Diaz romantically) is mentioned in-universe.
- The Sea Captain's portrait from "Blood Moon Ball" stares at Star and Marco when they hug, shortly after Tom apologizes.
Revelations and continuity
- Star still believes in fortunes since "Fortune Cookies".
- Tom is revealed to be an expert at ping pong.
- After Marco says "Okay, she gets it" when the camera zooms on Tom's face, Tom's eyebrows are missing for the first two frames.
- When Star pulls her goth hair back to reveal her right eye, there is no heart or skull on her right cheek.
- Before Marco's last paddle is destroyed, his bucket appears to still be full of paddles, but when his last paddle breaks, the bucket only contains ping pong balls and no paddles.
- Queen Butterfly's hands aren't covered with the black veins that Eclipsa's "Darkest Spell" caused to them, as the black veins were not a concept until "Moon the Undaunted".
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil : Mr. Candle Cares; Red Belt. Screener. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Mr. Candle Cares / Red Belt. Disney XD Press. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.