Queen Moon Butterfly is the ruler of the Kingdom of Mewni, alongside her husband King Butterfly, and the mother of Star Butterfly. She was the previous wielder of the royal magic wand before passing it down to her daughter on her fourteenth birthday.
Queen Butterfly has big, heart-shaped pale blue hair, a golden crown with a purple diamond in the center, light blue eyes, and magenta-colored diamonds on her cheeks. She wears a light blue and periwinkle gown, the skirt somewhat resembling the shape of a heart, with long blue gloves. Queen Butterfly also uses pink lipstick.
From "Mr. Candle Cares" onward, Queen Butterfly's look is altered slightly; Her crown now has a gold diamond-shaped attachment with a purple diamond in the center, from which two strings of pearls curl around the sides of her hair. Her ears are now visible, and she wears gold diamond-shaped earrings with purple diamonds embedded in them. She now wears purple lipstick.
In "Into the Wand" and Deep Trouble Issue #2, young Queen Butterfly bears a strong resemblance to her daughter Star, with long hair that reaches down to her knees and three bangs in front that point upward.
In "Face the Music", Moon lets her hair down, revealing it to look just like Star's, and ties it back in a long braided ponytail. She also removes the outer trappings of her dress, revealing dark blue trousers with a brown belt and black and grey boots, and dons a dark blue hood and cape. For Star's Song Day ceremony, Moon wears a purple and lavender gown with strings of pearls around her waist and a string of pearls and purple gems in her hair.
In "Starcrushed", she wears a gray and silver suit of battle armor with a metal skirt, a belt with a diamond buckle, and a gold tiara with a purple diamond in its center.
Queen Butterfly is serious most of the time, having a low tolerance for anything messy or destructive. In "Royal Pain", she was said to have kicked her husband out of the castle for not cleaning up his messes. Queen Butterfly often regards safety and caution for Star.
Being the queen, Queen Butterfly acts as the true ruling monarch of Mewni and always has the well-being of her kingdom in mind, to the point she is unable to express interest in anything else. This often causes her to appear cold towards others. Despite her overbearing strictness, she truly cares for her daughter; after the near loss of the family wand, rather than show any anger or disappointment, she hugs Star, telling her daughter she's just glad she's safe.
Powers and abilities
- Royal wand: Queen Butterfly was the previous owner of the royal magic wand before passing it down to Star, and she once used it to permanently sever one of Toffee's fingers.
- Mewberty form: Queen Butterfly can change into her Mewberty form at will. She has blue skin, six arms, and large butterfly wings capable of flight.
- Inherent magic: As a queen of Mewni, Queen Butterfly has magic deep within her body that she can access by "dipping down". With this reservoir of magic power, she can fire energy from her hands and create magical constructs such as whips and energy swords.
- Swordsmanship: Queen Butterfly has proven to be proficient with both regular swords and energy swords created with her magic.
- My New Wand!
- Mr. Candle Cares
- Game of Flags
- Into the Wand (pictured)
- Page Turner
- Raid the Cave
- Crystal Clear (mentioned)
- Face the Music
Click here to view the gallery.
- "Into the Wand" reveals that Queen Butterfly was the one who first defeated Toffee and severed the middle finger of his right hand.
- "Into the Wand" also reveals that Moon wore her hair down in her youth, greatly resembling her daughter's style, and had a pet pig-goat named "Lil Chauncey" whom she used to ride into battle.
- In "Game of Flags", it is revealed Queen Butterfly is the only member of the royal family willing to tolerate the rambunctiousness of the Johansen family, as a result of her marriage to River Johansen, who would become King Butterfly. The rest of the family openly disapproves of their marriage, and often chastises her for their union.
- At the end of "Storm the Castle", when Queen Butterfly hugs Star, a part of her hair falls out only to have Star reattach it, suggesting the curls on the sides of her head in Season 1 were hair extensions.
- According to Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension, Queen Butterfly took a pole dancing class at one point in her life.
- ↑ Season 2, episode 23: "Into the Wand"
- ↑ Queen Butterfly in "Game of Flags": "Yes, Aunt Etheria, I heard you the first hundred times."
- ↑ Star in "Into the Wand": "'Celena the Shy'? Oh, Great-Great Grandma Shy!"
- ↑ Glossaryck to Queen Butterfly in "Page Turner": "The only Butterfly to leave me be was your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother, Eclipsa, the queen of darkness, whose chapter, coincidentally, you left Star alone with when you pulled me into this wonderland of red tape."
- ↑ Star Butterfly in "Into the Wand": "My mom fought Toffee?"