It premiered on February 9, 2017.
When Marco abuses the Dimensional Scissors, the Scissors Enforcer, Hekapoo gives Marco an ultimatum.
The episode begins with the laser puppies waking up Marco so he can take them for a walk. Unfortunately, the weather outside is overcast with heavy rainfall and flooding. Marco asks Star, who is using a tennis ball for spell-targeting practice, if he can borrow her dimensional scissors, and he uses them to take the puppies for a walk in the park through a dimensional portal. Realizing the dimensional scissors' potential uses, Marco starts using them for everything – including getting snacks from the refrigerator, getting drive-thru takeout, and going to the beach – all from the comfort of his bed.
However, after abusing the scissors too much, the next portal that Marco opens is different from the rest, and someone pulls him into another dimension and seizes the scissors. In the new dimension, Marco encounters Hekapoo, the Scissors Enforcer and one of the members of the Magic High Commission. Hekapoo asks Marco where he got the scissors from, and he says he borrowed them from Princess Star Butterfly. Hekapoo doesn't believe him since she's the forger of all dimensional scissors and Star's scissors originally belonged to her. Wanting to return Star's scissors to her, Marco wishes to rightfully earn them from Hekapoo, so she gives him a challenge: she'll give him the scissors if he can blow out the flame floating above her head.
Marco's attempts at blowing out Hekapoo's flame prove difficult at first due to her quick speed. He tries to outsmart her, but she sends him to another dimension and over the edge of a cliff. Just before he falls, he succeeds in outwitting Hekapoo and blowing out her flame. Unfortunately, this Hekapoo is a fake, and Marco finds himself facing hundreds of Hekapoo duplicates. The real Hekapoo opens multiple dimensional portals, and she and her duplicates scatter into many different dimensions. She tells Marco that it could take him years to find her and offers him a way back home, but Marco is determined to get the scissors back no matter how long it takes.
Meanwhile, Star continues doing target practice when a man walking his dog comes in, having entered through one of the many dimensional portals that Marco left open in his bedroom. After retrieving the laser puppies, Star discovers Hekapoo's portal and calls Pony Head. Pony Head reveals that she stole the dimensional scissors she gave to Star from Hekapoo without earning them, and she tells Star that if Hekapoo took Marco, he's probably dead by now. Regardless, Star heads through the portal to save him.
Back in Hekapoo's dimension, sixteen years have passed, and Marco—now grown up and hardened from years of fighting and surviving in the wild—has tracked down Hekapoo and her remaining duplicates to her scissors forge. After defeating two duplicates standing watch outside the forge, Marco confronts Hekapoo, having blown out the flames of all her duplicates. He blows out her flame without resistance, and Hekapoo commends Marco for his resolve. For finally completing his challenge, Hekapoo gives Marco his own pair of dimensional scissors. Suddenly, Star bursts inside and commands Hekapoo to release Marco. Marco reunites with Star, and after a brief moment of infatuation with Marco's new look, Star reveals that while he has spent sixteen years in this dimension, only eight minutes have passed on Earth.
Since Marco has not missed anything, Star tells him to use his new scissors to take them home, but Marco has grown too comfortable in his new life as a warrior to leave it behind. However, when Star reminds him of his friends and family, he has a change of heart and says goodbye to Hekapoo. Upon returning to Earth, Marco's body is reverted to that of a teenager, meaning he and Star can still go on adventures together. As Star leaves to make some nachos, Marco tries to adjust settling back into his old life; having been away for sixteen chronological years, he has forgotten his laptop's sign-in password. The laser puppies come up to him again, and Marco decides to take them for a walk.
- Star Butterfly
- Pony Head
- Laser puppies
- Nachos the dragon-cycle
- Lydia (cameo)
- Willoughby (cameo)
- Rafael Diaz (cameo)
Title in other languages
|Dutch||Rennen Met Een Schaar||Running with Scissors|
|French||L'Extraordinaire Voyage de Marco||Marco's Extraordinary Journey|
|German||Marco und die Dimensionsschere||Marco and the Dimensional Scissors|
|Hebrew||לרוץ עם מספריים||Running with Scissors|
|Italian||Giocare col Fuoco||Playing with Fire|
|Japanese||ハサミを求めて||Looking for Scissors|
|Polish||Bieg z Nożyczkami||Running with Scissors|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Correndo com uma Tesoura||Running with Scissors|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Correr Atrás das Tesouras||Running After the Scissors|
|Russian||Бег с ножницами||Running with Scissors|
|Spanish||Corriendo con Tijeras||Running with Scissors|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Zosia Mamet, known for her roles in Mad Men, United States of Tara, and Parenthood, guest-stars as Hekapoo.
- Adam McArthur, who provides the voice for Marco Diaz, tweeted about "Running with Scissors" on January 9, 2017, calling it "one of my favorite eps I've ever recorded".
- Though McArthur voices Marco, he was not immediately cast as adult Marco; he was required to audition.
- According to Hekapoo, time progresses differently in her dimension than it does on Earth. Eight minutes on Earth is equal to sixteen years in the other dimension. This means that for every second that passes on Earth, roughly twelve days pass in Hekapoo's dimension.
- If 16 years and 8 minutes are exact, then the time coefficient between the 2 dimensions is 1,051,200.
- The second #MarcoLIVE reveals that after Marco came back to Earth, his memory of the sixteen years in Hekapoo's dimension are slowly becoming like a hazy dream or an old childhood memory.
Revelations and continuity
- In this episode, Marco receives his own pair of dimensional scissors, while Star's scissors are taken away by Hekapoo.
- The license plate on Marco's dragon-cycle reads "667". In "Blood Moon Ball", Tom states that the titular event happens once every 667 years.
- Pony Head reveals that the dimensional scissors she gave Star in "Party With a Pony" originally belonged to Hekapoo before she stole them from the Bounce Lounge's bathroom.
- Marco forgetting his password on his computer is similar to how he forgot his locker combination in his dream in "Red Belt".
- When Hekapoo opens the multiple portals for her clones to flee into, music similar to that used in the Portal video games begins to play.
- Before Hekapoo pulls Marco into her dimension, he is barefooted. In the very next scene, after Hekapoo pulls Marco into her dimension, he is wearing sneakers.
- At the beginning of Marco's chase after Hekapoo, the dimensional scissors in Hekapoo's hand briefly look like the scissors she makes for Marco near the end of the episode.
- When the man walking his dog appears in Star's bedroom, Star is seen wearing earmuffs/headphones. When she gets up to cast Rainbow Diaper Blast, the earmuffs/headphones disappear from her head.
- Pony Head's star pupils are missing when she talks to Star through her mirror phone.
- ↑ Bryan (2017-01-09). “Star vs. The Forces of Evil” Gets Weekday Premieres in February. Nick and More. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Running with Scissors. Disney XD Press. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Adam McArthur (2017-01-09). Running with Scissors has to be one of my favorite eps I've ever recorded. I'm super excited it's coming soon #StarVsTheForcesOfEvil. Twitter. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Adam McArthur (2017-02-09). I've been so excited for you guys to see "Running with Scissors!" Thoughts? Fun fact: Yes I voice adult Marco. Fun Fact 2: I had to audition. Twitter. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Disney XD (2017-02-13). The Return of #MarcoLIVE. YouTube. Retrieved on 2017 March 4.