Toffee is a major antagonist of Star vs. the Forces of Evil. He is a monster that Moon fought when she was young. In "Fortune Cookies", he infiltrates Ludo's army as a member and an "evil efficiency expert" with appears to have ulterior motives. He became the leader of the army after usurping the position from Ludo in "Marco Grows a Beard".
Toffee is a blue-skinned Septarian (humanoid lizard creature) with slicked-back dark purple hair, and yellow eyes. He wears a black suit with a white shirt underneath it and a red tie. He is shown to be very muscular upon regeneration. The middle finger of his right hand has been cut off.
In the past, Toffee wore a black outfit with a red waistband and matching trim, black boots, spiked metal kneepads, and shoulder pads made out of Mewman skulls (as evidenced by the symbols on the cheeks).
Toffee is shown to be much more intelligent and calculating than any member of Ludo's army and even Ludo himself. He is great at plotting schemes and knows how to set them in motion effectively. He often appears quite calm and collected, a facade that rarely slips (such as when he insulted Buff Frog under his breath, or when he revealed his true motives to Star). While often courteous towards enemies and allies alike, he appears to have very little empathy for others, and is prepared to maim, kill or manipulate anyone to achieve his goals. Michael C. Hall describes him as a "megalomaniacal, reptilian, slithery, infiltrating, flattering, backstabbing bad guy... he is among the forces of evil [Star's] battling."
Powers and abilities
- Intellect: Toffee possesses a genius-level intellect and a cunning mind. He is skilled in various technologies and has a working knowledge of magic, particularly that of the Butterfly family.
- Regeneration: As a Septarian, Toffee is able to quickly regenerate lost body parts, such as his arm. However, it is unknown if he could regenerate from the blast at the end of "Storm the Castle".
- Immortality: Toffee has not aged in the time between his battle with Queen Butterfly (as shown in "Into the Wand") and the present day.
- Magic: In "Starcrushed", Toffee creates a new arm from Ludo's wand, granting him full access to its magic. With it, he can levitate himself, shoot concussive energy blasts from his hand, and create magical constructs such as shields, whips and swords.
- Magic absorption: Toffee can absorb the powers of other magic users. The effect usually leaves the victim in a lifeless state with pitch-black eyes. He demonstrates this ability on Queen Butterfly, Omnitraxus Prime, Hekapoo, and Rhombulus of the Magic High Commission.
Toffee first appears in "Fortune Cookies", where he gets himself hired as Ludo's "evil efficiency expert." After learning that Star Butterfly listens to everything her fortune cookies say, he orchestrates a plan involving a fake fortune to make her stop fighting. The plan fails, but Toffee is unfazed.
In "Mewnipendance Day", Toffee creates a robotic spy device (modeled after the "All-seeing Eye" used on the titular day) that takes over Buff Frog's duties. He also orchestrates Buff Frog's dismissal from Ludo's services (having realized that Buff Frog doesn't trust him), giving him a rigged device that fails to get Star's wand, and convincing Ludo to fire him for his failure.
In "Marco Grows a Beard", Toffee accompanies Ludo's army to Earth in order to claim Star's wand. While they navigate Marco Diaz's beard, he gives the unnamed giraffe monster a glass of water when he says that he is dehydrated. After Ludo's army is repelled by Star, Toffee convinces them to renounce Ludo as their leader, leading to Ludo being kicked out and Toffee taking over his castle.
In "Storm the Castle", Toffee has Marco kidnapped and placed in an impenetrable crystal box. Though Toffee is a courteous host, Marco refuses his hospitality, even when Toffee offers him a sandwich. When Star, Ludo, and Buff Frog attack the castle, Toffee gets his arm blasted off before Star manages to destroy the box, only for it to rebuild itself. Before Star could try again, Toffee, as his arm grows back, tells her that the box is twice as strong now, and he causes the glass box to start crushing Marco. Star offers her wand to Toffee in exchange for Marco's freedom, but Toffee instead commands her to destroy the wand with the Whispering Spell (the first spell her mother taught her). After Star complies, he carries out his end of the deal by opening the glass box with Marco in it, but she jumps in and uses it as a shield as the wand begins to self-destruct. Before the wand explodes and destroys Ludo's castle, Toffee grins, as if he was expecting it. Toffee's physical body is destroyed in the blast, and when the wand's crystal fractures in two, his consciousness is absorbed into the right half.
In "Into the Wand", it is revealed that Toffee was first defeated in battle by Queen Butterfly, who also permanently severed the middle finger on his right hand. Star discovers Toffee's missing finger inside her wand, which was contaminating the spells she cast. With Glossaryck's help, Star removes the finger from her wand and stores it in her bedroom closet.
In "The Hard Way", Ludo becomes tainted by the dark magic of Queen Eclipsa's chapter in the Magic Instruction Book, allowing Toffee (whose consciousness had been residing within the crystal in Ludo's wand) to take possession of his body.
In "Starcrushed", Toffee assumes full control over Ludo's body and forms a new right arm around Ludo's wand, embedding the crystal and its magic into his palm. He also engages Queen Butterfly and the Magic High Commission in battle, absorbing the powers of the latter and telling the former just before she escapes that he'll be coming after Star to reclaim his lost finger.
Click here to view the gallery.
- At the end of "Fortune Cookies", Star's fortune says "A great evil has been unleashed." Toffee is heavily hinted to be this "great evil".
- In addition, Toffee says that Ludo wasn't the first monster to fall victim to Star's family's magic, suggesting that he has history with them. This is confirmed in Disney XD's interview with his voice actor prior to "Storm the Castle", and in "Into the Wand", which depicted him in battle with Queen Butterfly.
- In the "Fortune Cookies" promotional image, Toffee is yellowish-brown, has no hair, and wears no shirt under his suit, which could be his initial design.
- He has a habit of petting Boo Fly.
- Despite his powers of regeneration, Toffee seems unable (or perhaps unwilling) to restore his lost finger. "Into the Wand" reveals that it was severed by Queen Butterfly using her "darkest spell", suggesting that he is in fact incapable of regenerating it.
- According to Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension, Toffee is a lizard-like creature called a Septarian. Rasticore belongs to the same species.
- Toffee's ability to regenerate is far superior to Rasticore's, suggesting he is exceptional among his species.
- ↑ Season 2, episode 23: "Into the Wand"
- ↑ Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension by Dominic Bisignano and Amber Benson. March 7, 2017. Published by Disney Press. ISBN: 978-1484774199.
- ↑ Disney XD (2015-07-24). Disney XD's "Star vs. The Forces of Evil" - Michael C. Hall Guest Stars as Toffee. YouTube. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.